Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Let's talk about silly things

Okay. Had a frustrating afternoon, and am feeling unmotivated by blogging at the moment. Some things I just really don't feel like writing about at this particular moment:
  • Job hunting
  • Philadelphia schools policy
  • Things that I really need to get done right now (taxes, lesson planning, my final portfolio, etc.)
  • The weather
  • The Philadelphia Phillies
I'll get back to writing about some of those things soon. In the meantime, there's still plenty of things that can cheer me up. For instance, I just stumbled upon a keyboard shortcut that changed my font to red. Didn't know I could do that, doubt I'll ever do it again, but for the moment it's magical.

Some nerdy things can cheer me up too; for instance, earlier this month, I held my annual Pi(e) day celebration (naturally on March 14th - AKA 3.14), where a bunch of my friends, including a sizeable number from my TEP cohort, came together and baked a LOT of pies. I'm also enthusiastic at the moment about some events (okay, why is it doing it NOW???) about some events coming up, like Gloria Ladson-Billings coming to speak here next week, or trying out for this the following weekend. 

And then, of course, there's the thing that constantly lifts my spirits: the ridiculous, ridiculous, tiny human beings I'm surrounded by each day as I student teach.

Some of the strangest highlights:
  • There's some questions you don't really want to answer as a Kindergarten teacher...so it's nice when kids have their own answers:
    • Student A: (Reading a book about pandas) Mr. Gottschalk, what does "mating" mean?
    • Me: ...
    • A: Does it mean, making really good friends with someone?
    • Me: ...
    • Me: ...Kinda!
  • You never know which kids are going to have the most random expertise:
    • Student B (last name Pearson): My last name is named after a President.
    • Me: ...
    • Student A: 14th President. Zachary Pearson.
    • Me: ...
    • Me: ...Wow! 
  • And you never know what subjects could be completely baffling to children: 
    •  Student C: Mr. Gottschalk, when you were a kid, was your name just "Gott?"
  • Sometimes students take things much more seriously than you'd expect:
    • Mrs. T: On this last page, you're going to draw what you think you'll look like in 100 years.
    • Student D: Oh my goodness!
    • Student C: (Gasping) You'll die!
  • And sometimes, you just can't take the things they give you seriously at all:
    • Student E: Mr. Gottschalk, we made this for you!
    • Me: Oh wow, that's so nice!
    • E: Yeah, but we accidentally put Ms. Trusty's name on it, but it's for you.
    • Me: Well if her name is on it, why don't you give it to her?
    • Student F: We did, but she didn't want it.
  • They don't always give you the answers you're expecting:
    • Student G: I like looking out the window.
    • Me: Why?
    • G: Because sometimes you get to see dinosaurs!
  • But at least they know how to be encouraging:
    • Mrs. T: (Trying to draw a spider) Oops!
    • Student H: Guys! It's okay! That's the best Mrs. T can do.
Moral of the story: Kids are awesome.

And I still don't have any idea why I'm writing in red.

No comments:

Post a Comment