Wednesday, January 15, 2014

I wrote a book!

A little while ago, I cryptically mentioned a project I was working on - well here's the big reveal:


I've always had a dream of someday writing a book of some sort. When my Literacy Methods class made an assignment of it (specifically: "write a children's book"), I decided to take it really, really seriously. In spite of the demands of the semester, I ended up investing probably 50 hours on this. And I'm actually really proud of it.

(Note to prospective TEP students - this was NOT necessary. We were basically graded on completion rather than quality, so most people didn't put nearly as much time into it as I did. That's not to say that there weren't some spectacular books in there - I actually really, really loved some of the books made by my classmates. It was a great assignment. We ended our semester with a book-sharing party, with our Penn Mentors and professors invited as well!)


As you can see above, mine was called The Normal Book. I tried to combine some of my personal thoughts with some of the things we had discussed in both my Literacy class and the Literature for Children and Adolescents class I took in the summer. So, from Literature, I took inspiration to [academic language advisory] slot it into the genre of postmodern children's literature, framing the book as essentially a metatextual deconstruction of cliched storybook conventions and phrasing, with an emphasis on page-turns as narrative device [I'm almost positive I know what all of those words and phrases meant]. From Literacy, I took a focus on welcoming diverse voices and on literature to promote particular writing lessons. And then I used a ton of colored paper and knives and Photoshop.


And I have to say, I'm pretty proud of the results!




I got it printed through Shutterfly, but I gave that copy away and had another printed at Walgreens. I've gotten some really positive responses, so I'm thinking of continuing to work on it. Anybody know anything about publishing?

No comments:

Post a Comment