Thursday, September 19, 2013

Mid-September Report: They Call Me Mr. Gottschalk

It sounds like “Got Chalk,” and I’ve got to tell you, the jokes don’t come nearly as readily now that everyone uses whiteboards. Of course, that presents a new source for comic material – one of my mother’s students once called her “Mrs. Not Chalk.” I decided to bring some chalk on my first day to help people remember my name, but I left it at home; none of my students took the opportunity to call me Mr. Forgot Chalk.

Anyway.

I’m just finishing up my second week of student teaching, and simultaneously pushing deeper into the fall term of coursework. What that actually means for my schedule:

  • I’m student teaching two full days a week, working in a 3rd grade classroom at Henry C. Lea Elementary in West Philly. 
  • I’m taking a lot of classes: Methods classes for Math, Literacy, Social Studies, and Science; Human Development (carried over from the summer but concluding soon); Teaching Diverse Learners; and Field Seminar (which, along with TDL, will continue into the spring). 
  • I still try to keep up some sense of, you know, living. Among other things, I still try to find time to cook, watch music, and spend time with friends. I also try to make sure that I’m doing at least a few more exciting things – I’ve been to a couple Phillies games since the program started, I’m going to a show in the Philly Fringe Festival tomorrow (Pay Up, which was the first show by the amazing Pig Iron Theatre Company that I ever saw back in 2005), and I’m already counting the days until that Janelle Monae concert in October (have you heard her new album? Her tour for it is starting here!). I also just discovered the game Dixit, and I’m pretty hooked. 
  • And, you know, I’m blogging. Hey, check out my blog!
So yeah, that’s a lot. And the pace is accelerating, so to be honest I am a bit worried about having time to really reflect and take everything in. At the same time, it’s so great to finally be working in a school – and with an experienced, talented teacher who’s familiar with the program I’m in – and I’m really excited about the approaches and skills I’m learning in all of my methods classes.

It’s also great that I’m really getting the opportunity to integrate my coursework directly into my student teaching. Today, I tested out some new positive disciplinary practices (Teaching Diverse Learners) tried out a Math Talk (Math Methods), led my first read-aloud (Literature for Children and Adolescents, a course from the summer), and began preparing to lead my first guided reading group (Literacy Methods). It might all feel like it’s blurring by, but in some ways the classroom serves as my source of reflection and reinforcement.

Is the student teaching a challenge? Of course, but the stakes (and thus, the stress) are also remarkably low, thanks to the support system I have in place: my classroom teacher/mentor, who I know is good enough that the kids will be okay regardless of how much I screw up (so far, not much), and who can share ideas and provide feedback; a “Penn mentor,” whose job is to help me troubleshoot challenges and reflect on my experiences; and my instructors/professors, who have been willing not only to lend an ear for my post-class ramblings, but also to push me to keep on trying new things. Not to mention friends and family. And you guys, for listening to my ramblings.

As always, I’m happy to ramble at you personally if you’ve got any questions. Email me anytime.

That’s it for today. I’m going to the movies. Then I'm going to go home and float some objects in my sink, for Science. Because I'm not just a teacher now - I'm a learner.

No comments:

Post a Comment